Typography / Task 2: Typographic Exploration & Communication



09.05.2023 - 23.05.2023 / Week 5 - Week 8
Ameera Rihana binti Remy Ansara / 0352511
Typography / Bachelor of creative media (Hons) 
Task 2: Typographic Exploration & Communication



LECTURES

1. Typography Task 2 Process Demo
___
Starting with the task, we were given a brief demonstration on how to execute our typography exploration and communication through a tutorial video by showing us what kind of layouts we need and how to transfer a partial of our work from Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Indesign. Firstly, we have to sketch our type expressions and text before we digitalize it.

Fig. 1 Typography Task 2 Progress Demo video

I have also decided to refer back to the lecture videos from previous semesters: Task 1 



INSTRUCTIONS


For task 2, we are informed to create a 2-page editorial spread (200x200) with the provided texts. No images or colors are allowed but minimal use of graphic elements are acceptable within reason. We are to use Adobe Indesign as our platform to compose and express our text and Adobe Illustrator for headlines and sub headlines.

TASK 2 / Typography Exploration and Communication

"In this task you will be asked to express typographically the content in this link in a 2-page editorial spread (200mmx200mm per page). Choose 1 from the 3 text options provided. No images are allowed. However, some very minor graphical elements, i.e. line, shade, etc. might be allowed."
___

1. Research

Fig 1.1 Geometrical shapes, Bauhaus, (11/05/2023)

By beginning this task, I decided to make a research about geometrical shapes and lines that I find related to Bauhaus. I tried to incorporate this idea into the headlines and allows me to explore with the design. 

Fig. 1.2 Visual references editorial spreads, (11/05/2023)

Before working on the layouts, I decided to find some visual references of editorial spreads to give me a clear vision on how to rearrange the composition of the text and type expression in order to give an impactful and unique layouts.

Fig. 1.3 Bauhaus: The School of Modernism, (11/05/2023)

I decided to gather more interesting facts about Bauhaus to create a better understanding by peeking through its history in order to find out what it actually means and why is it important. This information taught me how their main goal was to improve people's living conditions through modern design.

2. Initial Process 
(layout & headline sketches, type expression exploration and text formatting)

Sketches



Fig 2.1 Quick Headline Sketches, (12/05/2023)

After doing some research, I initially began sketching out my headlines by expressing 'Bauhaus' and 'Thought' to list down a couple ideas I had in mind. It was slightly difficult to imagine what sort of headlines that would fit well with the topic itself.


Fig 2.2 Quick text format sketches, (12/05/2023)

Once I have some ideas for the type expressions, I began sketching out the text format that I had in mind. This was a beginning step to help me proceed on formatting the body text in Adobe Indesign.

Digitization


Fig 2.2 Type expression 'Bauhaus' digitization, (13/05/2023) 

These were my initial designs to test out the expression in Adobe Illustrator. I was not satisfied yet with the design and therefore I decided to work more on the type expression for 'Bauhaus'.


Fig. 2.3 Type expression 'Bauhaus' digitization part 2, (13/05/2023)

Furthermore, I created three designs to give me the best options for me to finally put in the layout. I decided to implement these designs into my layout for further exploration. I also tried to incorporate it with my sketches and also improvised it by mixing the ideas together.


Fig. 2.4 Type expression 'Thought' digitisation, (13/05/2023)

In this process, I decided to approach differently by expressing a different word 'Thought'. I think it was a fun approach as it reminds me of what I did in task 1. I decided to create more type expressions as a form of exercise or if I needed a backup plan.

Text formatting


Fig 2.5 Text formatting process, (14/05/2023)

Once I am done with the headlines, I began to move forward with text formatting. I explored a few different ideas by using different typefaces and came out with three attempts to choose the text I preferred the most. Therefore, I decided to use attempt #1 and #3 which looked readable and neat compared to my attempt #2.


Fig. 2.6 Text formatting process (2), (14/05/2023)

I adjusted the text by using the base grid lines as a guidance to ensure cross-alignments. Before I proceed on the layout, I tried to keep in mind how I want to express the text together with the headlines. As my final decision, I decided to focus more on text format #1 and text format #3.


Fig. 2.7 Futura Std Light font size, (14/05/2023)

In text format #1, I used Futura Std Light and some letters with long ascender tended to stick out like a thumb. Therefore, I tackled this problem by reducing the font size of that particular letter or number to make it look natural.

3. Layouts

Fig. 3.1 Initial Layouts, (15/05/2023)


Fig. 3.2 Initial Layouts (blocks), (15/05/2023)

After formatting the text I designed, I started to explore the different layouts by creating three layouts with two versions respectively. Based on the layouts, my personal favorite is layout #1 and layout #2. For this task, I decided to experiment on left justified text and left alignment. I decided to challenge myself and try something different by testing out left alignment thus I was happy how neat it looked.

In the end, I decided to pick 'Bauhaus' for the type expression in the headlines. I believe there is more potential for me to think of ideas using 'Bauhaus instead of 'Thought'.



Fig. 3.3 Chosen layout #1, version 1, (15/05/2023)


Fig 3.4 Chosen layout #1, version 2, (15/05/2023)


Fig 3.5 Chosen layout #2, Version 1, (15/05/2023)

I narrowed my options to layouts #1 (version 1), #1 (Version 2) and #2 (version 1). However, I had some mix feelings with layout #2 as I am not really sure if I am able to convey the message through the type expression of ' Bauhaus'. Therefore, I decided to further enhance my layouts #1 as it looked like a modern house and certain geometrical shapes are also included.

Based on the general feedbacks, I proceeded by creating more variations and explore all kinds of options.

Fig 3.6 New layouts, (16/05/2023)


Fig 3.7 New layouts (block), (16/05/2023)

In the end, I decided to cross of  layout #2 and focused more on improving my layouts #1
(version 1 and 2). For my layout #1, the type expression and the body text looked separated. The uses of positive space and negative space looked slightly awkward. Therefore, I decided to increase the type expression and added a little bit of lines to make it look connected. I played around with the composition of the sub headlines.


For layout #2, it was the same case as layout #1. However, I decided to make it look a little bit adventurous by tilting it slightly and increase the size of the type expression. I tried to avoid placing the headlines in the middle of the page based on Mr. Vinod's feedback.

Fig. 3.8 improved layout, (16/05/2023)

Lastly, I decided to choose layout #1 version 2 as my final editorial spread.

Margins: 10mm
Gutter: 5mm

Head
Font: Futura Std Medium

Body
Font: Futura Std Light
Type size: 8 pt
Leading: 10 pt
Paragraph spacing: 10 pt
Characters per-line: 50
Alignment: Left alignment



4. Final Typographic exploration and Communication

Fig 4.1 Final editorial spread, (18/05/2023)


Fig 4.2 Final editorial spread (PDF), (18/05/2023)

Fig 4.3 Final editorial spread (Grids), (18/05/2023)


Fig 4.4 Final editorial spread PDF (Grids), (18/05/2023)



FEEDBACKS

Week 6

Type expression
1. Do the expressions match the meaning of the word?
2. Are the expression well-crafted (crafting/lines/shapes)?
3. Do they sit well on the artboard?
4. Are the composition engaging?
5. Are there unnecessary non-objective elements present?
6. How can the work be improved?

Text Formatting
1. Is kerning and tracking appropriately done?
2. Does the font size correspond to the line-length, leading & paragraph spacing
3. Is the alignment choice conducive to reading?
4. Has the ragging been controlled well?
5. Has cross-alignment been established using base-line grids?
6. Are widows and orphans present?

General feedback: Make sure that the text does not exceed the page if it is too big. Do put in too much distortion into it and explore more on the composition of expression and layouts. Advised not to rely too much on graphical elements and rewatch the tutorial videos as a guidance. It is not advisable to put headlines in the middle of the page. Week 7 General feedback: Be aware that Bodoni is not a great font to be used in a body text. Make sure the graphic elements are somewhat related to the topic in task 2.

REFLECTION

Experience: I think it has been a productive experience as I got to learned new things and deepened my understanding of text formatting. Knowing the ways to create and editorial spread was very insightful. It truly peeked my curiosity how editorial spread and magazines are made and now I finally got the answer. For this task, I find myself getting used to handle the text format and even challenged myself to harder procedures. This task was certainly interesting as we got to combine both type expressions and text format into a same page.

Observations: By observing through my classmates' work and research, I managed to understand how I was supposed to execute this task in the right direction. With further research, I was able to understand what the topic was actually about and allow me to gain inspiration. From my observation, we often make mistakes by unintentionally copying the wrong texts or headlines from the previous semesters. With visual references, it certainly helped me to approach the format in a different way.

Findings:
Throughout task 2, reading certainly helped to gain new knowledge and allowed us to think outside the box. Knowledge does not necessary comes from visualizing but it also comes from reading. I believe that it is important to balance between the two in order to increase the dynamic of your ideas.



FURTHER READING

Fig. 5.1 Typographic design: Form and Communication by Rob Carter (2015)

This was written by Rob Carter. Mr. Vinod specifically advised us to read this e-book from the library. Form and Communication by Rob Carter examines the fundamentals and best practices of typography as a visual communication.


Fig. 5.2 Typographic hierarchy

In this particular note, it is to develop the student to understand in depth about hierarchy and composition, while student need to build their knowledge of letterspacing, word spacing, linespacing, rags and alignments.


Fig. 5.3 Experimental compositions with found typography

I find this information quite useful as I was able to explore what kind of elements I can used within reason for my editorial spread. This is to also encourage an understanding of the abstract properties inherent in existing typographic forms. It is also an exploratory towards space and visual.


Fig, 5.4 Single column grids

I decided to give this a read because it reminds me of text formatting which includes space, column and margins to rearrange the text neatly. It is interesting because it is somehow related to the golden ratio.


Fig 5.5 multicolumn grids

This reading gave me a deeper understanding about multicolumn grids that possess unique anatomical characterisitics.

Comments

Popular Posts