Advanced Typography - Task 2 (Key artwork & Collateral)

15/5/2024 - 29/5/2024
Ameera Rihana binti Remy Ansara
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of (hons) in Creative Media
Task 2 - Key artwork & Collateral


LECTURES

Lecture: Refer to Task 1


INSTRUCTIONS


Task 2A: Designing Key Artwork

Recap
Create a cool and memorable logo using your name. Play around with different styles and layouts until you find something that looks balanced and elegant. The final design should be simple, clear, and easy to understand.

    a) Experiment with Styles:

  • Try different fonts, sizes, and arrangements of your name.
  • Mix and match to see what looks best.
    b) Focus on Balance:
  • Ensure the design feels balanced and looks good as a whole.
  • Avoid making it too complicated or confusing.
    c) Final Design:
  • Your final logo should be elegant, functional, and communicative.
  • It will be used in future projects, so make it something memorable and exciting.
__

1. Ideation & Sketches

a) Mind map & Exploration


Fig 0.01 Mind map "Sheero", Week 5 (21/5/2024)

Before we began with the digitization, our lecturer advised us to explore and create a mind map about our own identity. For my logo ideation, I decided to go with a name called "Sheero", another identity of me I wished to explore.

Firstly, I listed down my favorite themes that started with space, games, music and stories. Then, I branched out the keywords based on my favorite things. I circled out the possible keywords that I wanted to use for my logo.

Sheero's identity to me is quite unknown. There are many directions to go with this but I imagined the name to be fun, groovy and artistic. Once I have made up my mind, I narrowed down the possible keywords for my logo.

Chosen keywords: asteroids, stars, planets, groovy, glamorous, fantasy, castle, unknown


Fig 0.02 Mood board (categorized), Week 5 (21/5/2024)

With the chosen keywords, I already set up an idea what my mood board was going to be. My primary focus was mostly about space therefore most of the content were space-related and groovy tones. 

b) Sketches


Fig 0.03 Idea Sketches, Week 5 (21/5/2024)

After gathering some inspiration, I've sketched a bunch of different logos to explore my options since I haven't decided on the final look for my key artwork yet.

2. Digitization


Fig 0.04 Digitization process, Week 5 (23/5/2024)

After preparing the sketches, I started digitizing some of the selected ones that had more relations to my theme and my favorite ones.

Option #1: When I designed this key artwork, I imagined a planet "Saturn" with a ring around the planet. However, adding a ring to it might cause the elements to overlap which can be distracting.

Option #2: I slightly changed my direction by adding "glamor" and "stars" into the theme. I tried to make the letterforms looked poised and sharp looking.

Option #3: When I thought of space, I thought of asteroids. I tried to make these letters looked like rocks, one that looked out of shape and the other more stabilized. Unfortunately, it might looked really hard to read the letters.

Option #4: My fourth idea was inspired by my first design. I put an arc on top to make it look like a shooting star.

Option #5: My last option is quite similar to option #2. I decided to twist it by rearranging the position and add more sharp points that looked like stars. I thought of the position by making it look like a silhouette of a castle.


Fig 0.05 Chosen key artwork, Week 5 (23/5/2024)

Chosen key artwork: Option #1
Reasoning: I think this design resonated more with my identity. It looked fun and groovy. It's space groove. I was never a person that is covered with glamor.
Final keywords: Space, groove, planet, stars

3. Refinements on key artwork


Fig 0.06 Feedback Session, Week 6 (27/5/2024)

Once we have our designated logo, we proceeded on printing them on a collateral for some feedbacks. Based on Mr. Vinod's feedback, I was told that the logo has potential but it clearly looked out of shape and lacked consistency. A different kind of star should also be used.

Pencil marks:
Corrections needed to be made


Fig 0.07 Refinements #1, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

I took the feedbacks into consideration and proceeded with the refinements. I started by balancing the shape of the silhouette by using an eclipse tool as my guide. I also tried to change the design of the star.

Fig 0.08 Refinements #2, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

After that, I made some changes to letter "e" by adding more curves and letter "o" by changing the oval.


Fig 0.09 Refinements #3, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

With further feedbacks, the gaps in between the letters lacked consistency and the stars were too small. So, I adjusted the gaps that looked out of place and changed it to one star.


Fig 0.10 Refinements #4 and #5, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

I made further adjustments to the spine of letter "s". The tail of letter "R" is more pointed and slightly increase the negative space for letter "e".

4. Color Palette (key artwork)


Fig 0.11 Color exploration, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

I was initially planning to go with this color palette for my logo. However, I decided to choose a different color after my logo had undergone through many changes.


Fig 0.12 Chosen Color Palette, Week 6 (28/5/2024)

With the help of my mood board, I used this image as my reference because the colors to this image was really interesting. I dissected the colors and used them for my logo using Adobe Color.

Final Task 2A: Key Artwork

Fig 0.13 Final Key Artwork (black and white) JPEG, Week 6 (29/5/2024)


Fig 0.14 Final Key Artwork (black and white) JPEG, Week 6 (29/5/2024)

Fig 0.15 Final Key Artwork (colored) JPEG, Week 6 (29/5/2024)

Fig 0.16 Final Key Artwork (colored) JPEG, Week 6 (29/5/2024)

Fig 0.17 Final Key Artwork (colored) JPEG, Week 6 (29/5/2024)


Fig 0.18 Final Key Artwork PDF, Week 6 (29/5/2024)

FEEDBACKS

Week 8 (ILW)
Week 7
General feedback: Avoid repetitive use of your wordmark in Instagram tiles. Limit the overuse of your wordmark, pattern, or expansion to prevent a stale appearance. Ensure that the elements of your wordmark used in any expansion are clear and easily recognizable. Ensure that all your collaterals are purposeful and justifiable.
Specific feedback: The wordmark looks interesting just have more consistency in the gaps. Reduce the repetitiveness in expanding the wordmark
in collaterals. The expansion can still be improved. The color schemes is good to go.

Week 6
General Feedback: A wordmark needs to have a presence and an impact. It is better to add thick and thin strokes together to be readable. All parts of your design needs to be rationalized. Thinner wordmarks lose presence when shrunk.
Specific feedback: The wordmark works quite well but the overall shape looks a little unbalanced. Just make a few adjustments on the arrangement of the letters. You can use a different type of star.

Week 5
General Feedback: Consider the purpose of your work and what it aims to convey or promote. Be mindful of white space, and ensure that it is neither too small nor too large.

Comments

Popular Posts